Monday, February 4, 2013

# 22 Learn to Surf!


I just got back from one of the coolest vacations I have ever been on - Rincon, Puerto Rico.  Not only did I somewhat learn to surf, get appropriately beaten up by the Ocean, and drink some awesome drinks, I also met some great people, saw amazing views and learned that we – American Civilization have it all wrong.

So surfing--  #22 on the list. One of the hardest sports I have ever tried. It’s not about getting up on the wave, honestly, that’s the easy part. Swimming out and passing the break, now that’s the hard stuff. I got pulled around by the Ocean, a very powerful force of nature may I add. But I conquered it and I even got to ride a bunch of waves. The thrill of standing on the board and riding the wave is just so awesome. It was a liberating feeling to see the ocean almost come around you.  Even when you are sitting and waiting for a wave to come being in the middle of the Ocean and feeling the sun on your skin, the waves between your toes, it’s pretty damn perfect.  Ok, I didn’t want to come back. I wanted to become a surf bum, change the pace of my life and stop sitting behind a desk. ( I mean surf bum with the highest regard and utmost respect. I say it out of jealousy.) But low and behold, I am sadly back to reality, sitting behind a desk and working on excel spreadsheets. I learned a few things though on this trip:

  1. The Ocean is not a scary place you just have to take it head on – literally and figuratively.
  2.  We here in America (or Canada) have it all wrong. We should not be working 9 – 5 days, we should see the sun, have fun everyday, and put our phones away.  
  3. You can live anywhere you want and find a way to do what you love to do.
  4. We talk about what we will do when we retire, have more money but why wait? We have every reason not to. 

That is a lot to take in and for the most part highly unrealistic, but at least they are thoughts I should keep in the back of my mind. In the mean time I will look for cheap flights that get me back to Rincon and out on a surf board sometime soon.




If you want a fun getaway and you have any desire to learn to Surf go to Rincon and check out the Rincon Surf School. While I may be biased, Travis and Lucas are great to work with and they will help you find things to do in and around the area to help make your trip is everything you were hoping for and more. Our teacher, Omar, was so patient, fun, and calm. He helped ensure that we learned a lot and pushed ourselves while remaining safe.  I am telling you it was just such an awesome trip and you should do yourself a favor and hop on a plane to Aguadilla, go to Rincon - surf, chill, and have the best time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment