Thursday, September 13, 2012

Recipe 3 of 100


I LOVE hosting Shabbat meals. There is something to fun about sitting with friends at the end of the week eating great food, having some drinks and of course laughing a lot.

Last Friday night I got back into Shabbat Dinners. With Ben home I am more likely to host meals. That being said we are moving in a few weeks so as I begin packing I will likely host fewer meals. Once we move and have a real dining room I will host frequently and cook lots of new recipes to post. 

The chicken I made this week was really great and it made the whole apartment smell so fresh. I love the flavors of tomatoes and basil so when I saw a recipe from Kosher by Design Short on Time mixing tomatoes, basil, and chicken I knew I had to try it. 

I made some slight adjustments to the recipe found in Susie Fishbein’s Kosher by Design Short on time page 122.

So if you want to come for Shabat dinner let me know. Just be prepared that not all my recipes come out as great as I would like – others turn out better then expected. Just as Robyn about the mishap challah turned cinnamon babka! 97 recipes to go!

Tomato Basil Chicken

What you need
2 kosher chickens, cut into 8 eight pieces each with the skin on
2 large tomatoes, cut into large chunks – I used Heirloom tomatoes but in the off season Beefsteak tomatoes are a good option
1 (8 ounce) bottle Italian dressing.
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
4 cloves fresh garlic
5 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
1 TBS of Tomato paste
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Salt and Pepper (Cayenne Pepper) to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken pieces in single layers, skin-side up, into baking pans. Set aside.

Place the chunks of tomatoes into a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse to chop. Add the dressing, basil, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse to purée. - If you do not have a food processor you can probably use an emersion blender. 
Pour the tomato-basil dressing evenly over the chicken pieces.
Bake uncovered for 90 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink. Your meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part should read 180 degrees.
Transfer to serving platter. Garnish with basil leaves.


Source: “Kosher by Design: Short on Time, Fabulous Food Faster” by Susie Fishbein (Mesorah Publications, $34.99)

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! It looks good enough to make me wonder if I should change my Rosh Hashanah chicken plans... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. leora, i've been wanting to try this recipe, and you inspired me! my house smells SOOO yummy right now. excited to have this tonight. good shabbos!

    ReplyDelete