Friday, September 7, 2012

Recipe 2 of 100


I had fully intended to blog while on my vacation, but I failed. The weather was just too beautiful; the lake kept calling me outside. That being said I did test out a new recipe.  I made a Blueberry, Mango, Craisen Quinoa Salad – and it was so yummy. Of course I had to add some Cayenne pepper because I always need a bit of extra spice.

So, What is Quinoa? Quinoa is a tiny grain-like seed packed with rich nutrients that is a great alternative to rice. Packed with protein, vitamins and minerals these little powerhouses are also rich in antioxidants. AND for those of us who keep kosher its OK for Passover!

When I made the salad my sister D said she wouldn’t like it because she doesn’t like fruit where there should be vegetables. (Weird I know) Even she enjoyed this fresh summer salad with the lemon Basil dressing.

Blueberry, Mango, and Craisin  Quinoa Salad

For the quinoa
 - 1 cup quinoa
1 and a 1/2 cup water
For the fruits and veggies
 - 1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup cubed ripe mangoes
3/4 cup cubed cucumbers
1/2 tablespoon dried cranberries
For the lemon basil dressing -  3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, ½ tea spoon orange zest 15 Basil leaves, chopped finely, Salt and pepper, and of course Cayenne Pepper to taste (it helps balance the sweetness from the fruit. 
Place the quinoa and water in a skillet and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, and simmer covered till the quinoa is cooked. Remove the lid, and fluff the quinoa. Let it cool to room temperature.
While the quinoa is cooking, combine the fruits in a bowl and refrigerate till you are ready to serve the salad.
Whisk together all the dressing ingredients, except the chopped basil. Refrigerate till you are ready to serve. Chop and add the basil to the dressing just before serving. If you add it earlier, it will go black.
Add half the dressing to the quinoa and mix gently.
Assemble the salad just before serving – toss the quinoa, fruits and cucumbers together and add remaining dressing (you may not need it all, taste as you mix – that’s always my philosophy)

If you are having a small meal or just want this for lunch cut the recipe in half.
I made this with a meat meal so I did not add feta cheese, however, I think the salty cheese would be a GREAT addition. You can add ¼ of a cup of Feta cheese YUMMY!
ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment